Re: calling Gimp from web pages.

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 04:55:09PM -0500, Chris Brown <cfreak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I maybe a bit confused as to the difference betweent Gimp::Net and
> Gimp::Fu.

Gimp::Fu is a convinience interface to gimp-perl, it provides an easy way
to register functions and to create a simple-but-usable user interface for
most plug-ins. Gimp::Net is just an interface module and is loaded
automatically and on demand, so you do not usually need to use it explicitly.

> Can I call Gimp Functions, (the ones in the DB Browser) while
> just using Gimp::Net or do I also have to include Gimp::Fu?

Both are orthogonal to each other. You can call gimp functions without
Gimp::Fu (and also without Gimp::Net, as the mkain gimp module will
automatically load thew appropriate interface module for you).

> Mostly I need to know if there is a way to run the
> Gimp Perl server without running the Gimp

No.

> itself and without running X, as

No.

> the host machine will not have access to the X server.

Many people use Xvfb or Xvnc on their server machines. The next major
version of Gimp (2.0) will be much more modular (and maybe we will soon be
independent of X due to the freetype plug-in).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|