Re: Bluesky ideas of the week

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Tom Rathborne wrote:

> Hey all
>
> At SIGGRAPH I saw "Corel Network Painter" or something like that in
> action.  Basically there were a bunch of people all painting on the
> same image via the network.  Something worth duplicating in the GIMP?
>
> Another idea I just had: There are lots of parts of the GIMP where
> there is a a matrix transform involved (transform tool, gimp-freetype,
> various other plugins). What if there was a common GIMP widget for the
> display of this matrix, with DnD? Then I could use the transform tool
> to find the rotation of a skewed image, drag that transform matrix
> into gimp-freetype, and render text perfectly rotated for that image.
>
> Whee!

Hm. Interesting that you should mention that... I must have missed it
as SIGGRAPH (I didn't spend enough time on the floor, I think). Any-
way, I've been lurking on this list for a number of months (some of
you may remember my inquiry about image change notification from Nov
99) with this very thing in mind.

In fact, I have a plug-in to do this, more or less. It's very basic,
but seems to work fairly well. Multiple people painting on the same
spot can be troublesome, but that's fine by me.

Since I haven't found a way for a plug-in to learn (by signal) when
an image has changed, I did it the brute-force way: the plug-in main-
tains an internal copy of the image, and periodically compares that
to the one held by the GIMP. This comparison is done on a tile-by-
tile basis. When a difference is found, the tile is distributed.

/Emil