Export plugin : keeping layers

Hi all
I'm planning to write an export plugin for gimp for my 3d engine in
order to make a 2d interface:
It have to keep the layer and add some info (for example: "this is a
text-layer, ref xxxx" and my engine will put the string that it want on
this layer.
My first idea is too export each layer in a separate png file (I would
like to have lightweight files) and to write a text file which would
contain the name of the png file, the size of the pic and the
coordinates of this pic.
What do you think of this idea? how would you proceed? Where can I find
some source code which do similar things?

Thx
Mandor