Re: Tiff changes?

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 11:26:25PM +0300, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 03:06:26AM +0100, Nick Lamb wanted to say the following:

>> NB None of this affects loading images, and you should NOT be
>> creating more TIFFs, so hopefully right thinking people are quite
>> unaffected apart from this build problem.

> Eek. TIFF is very much alive in the print media world..! Just declaring it
> sucky is not going to help a lot :|

> I also heard TIFF is the only format you can supply with a "clipping path"
> from photoshop that a DTP package supports. So you can define the image
> outline from the paint program with a path, then say "This is the clipping
> path for this image" and save it as TIFF. This would be neat for sodipodi,
> sketch and whatnot.. any clue if we could do something similar or does
> anyone know if something like this exists for other formats too? It would be
> useful since the path will always be more accurate than some clipping object
> you define in the vector program..

Photoshop, for instance, lets you save and image with clipping path to both
TIFF and EPS, in addition to PSD, of course. The disadvantage with using EPS
for this format is that the files tend to get prohibitively large (I suspect
there is little or no compresison going on, and that it also encodes as
ASCII).

During my days working in prepress, we were actually told not to send TIFFs
with clipping paths to the printers, but use EPS instead. The reason given
was "greater precision". I'm not sure if this is correct or not, though.

Anyway, being able to define a clipping path and save it from within GIMP
would be extremely useful, even without CMYK support (the other big deal for
print work), since you can at least use it on greyscale images.

--
  Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code webmaster - joakim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer