Re: pnm plugin

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 02:27:09AM +0200, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> ppm saving works. But I am unable to create pgm or pbm files with the gimp
> (pbm is known for some time, but gimp definitely writes a ppm file for
> greyscale images).

Nope, my routine Export tests for Gimp show PPM and PGMs being created
as appropriate. You're right that Gimp won't generate PBMs, but I don't
think it's an ideal tool for that job anyway.

IMHO pnm.c would ideally notice if you said "foo.pgm" for an RGB image,
and ask Export to recommend greyscale... but that's a lot of work for
a very small gain. So I don't prioritize doing that.

> However, saving a grayscale image resulted into a ppm file (with a pgm
> suffix).

Doesn't here. If you can't figure out what's wrong, try sending me
(private mail is fine) an XCF which you think should produce a PGM,
and I'll see what it does here.

> I think the pnm plug-in should be able to save greyscale as pgm, I don't
> care for pbm files.

Does in my last check out of Gimp, probably a few days old but hardly
out-of-date in PNM plug-in terms.

Nick.