Re: 1.1.19-installation fails

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 11:05:10AM -0400, "William L. Sebok" <wls@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marc Lehmann <pcg@xxxxxxxx> says:
> > The problem is that gettext itself does the detection (and so the only
> > solutioon would be to rpelace the gettext.m4 macros by our own versions).
> > I only get the results.
>
> You mean the gnu version of gettext itself does the detection of msgmerge. The
> problem is that the gnu version of gettext (and msgfmt) is not the only such
> version.  In particular, there is a Solaris gettext and msgfmt but no msgmerge.

I know (that's why I also do not understand why the .mo files, which are
os/architecture dependent, should be distributed with the gimp).

The problem is: gimp uses gnu gettext for detection of msgfmt/msgmerge etc..
(regardless of which version is installed on the target system). It is
difficult to change this except by re-writing that part, and it does not try
to detect availability of a compatible msgmerge.

Obviously, I am not keen on re-implementing the whole gettext package just
for perl (I had to re-implement most of it already, since it cannot be
extended to other languages).

:(

So I am for a working-but-maybe-not-compliant-to-the-undocumented-gettext
solution, but it is difficult to achieve that :(

The current (soon-to-be-checked-in) solution to this problem will be to
disable any automatic po updates (which requires msgmerge). If translators
want an updated pot or po file, they have to "make -C po update-po"
themselves (or run po/update.sh) manually.

(Which was how it was done a long time ago)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|