Re: 1.1.19-installation fails

No, simpler. I assume that, if @MSGFMT@ is != "", then it must exists.
Unfortunmately, it seems that sometimes @MSGFMT@ is also == "no".

> Unfortunately, many systems have msgfmt but do not have msgmerge.

This is very interesting. The problems I have with msgmerge come from the
fact that gettext itself assumes that msgmerge exists (it does not check
for its existence).

> Please add separate tests for msgfmt and for msgmerge.

The problem is that gettext itself does the detection (and so the only
solutioon would be to rpelace the gettext.m4 macros by our own versions).
I only get the results.

Interestingly, it seems that only "make dist" requires a call to msgmerge
(just like I had before). I was told that po files should be updated per
default and changed my makefiles. As a result, I have no idea when to
actually call msgmerge.

Sven? Is there a chance that we get some definite guideline for this
mess? I am fixing these problems according to your description, but it
really is a moving target :(

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|