Re: 1.1.19-installation fails

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Marc Lehmann <pcg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> Unless somebody comes up with a better solution, I'll try the following
> (Without any understanding of what I do):
>
> if @MSGFMT@ is != "" and != "no" then just assume MSGFMT is valid, and that
> msgmerge is somewhere in the path. Otherwise, just suppose @MSGFMT@ a
> msgmerge are not available.

Ahhh...  Now I think that I understand why gimp-1.1.19 cannot be built
unless you disable Perl (see bug #8148).  The problem is that if you
find "msgfmt", you also assume that "msgmerge" can be found somewhere
in the path.

Unfortunately, many systems have msgfmt but do not have msgmerge.
This is the default under Solaris (at least for Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6 and
Solaris 7) and under SuSE Linux (unless you install the dev rpm that
contains msgmerge).  I think that msgfmt is more or less standard, but
msgmerge is not.  You only get the latter with GNU gettext, not with
the other versions of gettext.

Please add separate tests for msgfmt and for msgmerge.  This would
probably solve bug #8148.

-Raphael