Re: Colour balance

"Garry R. Osgood" wrote:

> Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>
> > I think it is time to repeat this message, from a year ago... The same
> > strange-looking code is still present in color_transfer.c. Is it a
> > bug? Should it be fixed before 1.2? Is my suggestion below a good one?
> >
> > <snipped...>
>
> > Comments, please?
> >
> > --tml
>
> I believe you are correct. Shadows ought to be handled differently.

<snipped...>

And, in Gimp 1.1.18, Shadows *ARE* handled differently - the highlighted
code posted  this AM has to be contemplated a bit. The computational stuff
on the right hand side defines two "half" transfer functions; lets call one A
and the other B. (and B seems to be inadvertently used twice).

But note that each line of code is making *two* assignments in what may be
regarded as two halves of two transfer functions, so that the array pairs:

highlights_add + highlight_sub defines "highlight transfer function" and is A + B
midtones_add + midtones_sub defines "midtone transfer function" and is B + B
shadows_add + shadows_sub defines "shadow transfer function and is B + A

So the four "half transfer functions" B and the two "half transfer functions" A
are permuted in different ways to make three "full transfer functions" A + B,
B + B, and B + A.  These are actually proto transfer functions that get finalized
when actual settings from the color balance GUI come into play.

Are these transfer functions the greatest thing since sliced bread? Might not
degree two bezier polynomials offer better smoothness? I don't know -- the
issue kind of has become moot for me personally now that the code seems
less broken than what a casual glance suggested this morning. I think Carey
Bunks has already made the capstone observation, elsewhere: the balance tool
is fully and comprehensively superceded by the curve tool, and once one gets the
hang of curve tool subtleties, the "semi-hard-coded" transfer functions in
the balance tool, just don't offer enough flexibility.  If the balance tool offers
anything at all, it is a limited subset of curve tool functionality with an
intuitively more accessible interface - a bicycle with training wheels.
When one moves onto the curve tool, they shed the training wheels and
never look back.  At least in my humble opinion.

So I contradict myself from this morning. This is not a bug,  To give you
a sense that GIMP shadows are balanced differently than midtones, I
present color pixel samplings done across 16 tones of grey, and then
subjected to some "color balancing" to extreme yellow.

Unadorned data set of color picker samples

  R   G   B

  0   0   0
 17  17  17
 34  34  34
 51  51  51
 68  68  68
 85  85  85
102 102 102
119 119 119
136 136 136
153 153 153
170 170 170
187 187 187
204 204 204
221 221 221
238 238 238
255 255 255

Photoshop 3.0 on SGI (a very old photoshop)
midtone. preserve luminosity. The blue/yellow slider was pulled all the way
over to yellow, giving r = 0, g = 0, and b = -100

  0   0   0
 37  37   6
 61  61  15
 81  81  26
100 100  40
117 117  54
133 133  70
148 148  87
163 163 105
178 178 124
191 191 144
205 205 165
218 218 186
230 230 208
243 243 231
255 255 255

Gimp 1.1.18 on SGI (a very new  GIMP)
midtone. preserve luminosity. The blue/yellow slider was pulled all the way
over to yellow, giving r = 0, g = 0, and b = -100

  R   G   B

  0   0   0
 34  33   0
 62  61   5
 88  87  14
111 110  24
131 130  38
149 148  54
165 164  72
174 173  97
179 179 126
192 191 147
205 205 168
219 218 189
231 231 210
243 243 232
255 255 255

Photoshop 3.0 on SGI
SHADOW. preserve luminosity. The blue/yellow slider was pulled all the way
over to yellow, giving r = 0, g = 0, and b = -100

  R   G   B

  0   0   0
 17  17   0
 34  34   0
 51  51   0
 68  68   0
 85  85   0
102 102   3
119 119  31
136 136  59
153 153  87
170 170 115
187 187 143
204 204 171
221 221 199
238 238 227
255 255 255

GIMP 1.1.18
SHADOW, prereserve luminosity, blue/yellow slider 100% (-100 adjustment on blue)

  R   G   B
  0   0   0
 34  33   0
 68  67   0
102 100   0
136 134   0
170 168   0
198 195   6
200 198  37
200 199  71
198 197 107
201 200 138
213 213 160
226 226 181
238 238 203
248 248 227
255 255 255

Both products behave roughly the same, but clearly have differently behaving
transfer functions at work.

Probably should have woke up earlier and looked at things this AM.

Be good, be well

Garry