Re: running ldconfig

   Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:10:32 +0100 (MET)
   From: quinet@xxxxxxxxxx (Raphael Quinet)

   Libtool already prints a message telling the user to run "ldconfig" or
   "ldconfig -v" after installing something, so any user who watches the
   installation process should know what to do.

If somebody reads the install output carefully enough, and understands
what that means, maybe (although I went back to the emacs shell that I
did the install in and didn't see any such message).  But it's buried
in a stack of output, if it's there at all.  In practice, I start it,
go off to do something else, and simply check that it completed
successfully.  I suspect that this is the common state of affairs.

						 The Gimp Makefile (not
   libtool) could have an additional call to "ldconfig" or
   "-(PATH="\$PATH:/sbin" ldconfig) > /dev/null" immediately after
   calling "$(LIBTOOL) --mode=install".  But the installation rules in the
   Makefiles are generated by autoconf/automake and it could be a bit
   tricky to hack them.

Actually, I think libtool should have some kind of "libtool --postinstall"