resend

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:53:37 -0500
From: Robert L Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: sharkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: gimp-print-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gimp-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Gimp-print-devel] need progress bar?

   From: sharkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 17:19:23 +0900

   Hmm, my home university seems to have dropped off the face of the net
   for the past 24 hours...  I'm reading the list off the archive.

   > The Gimp puts its own progress bar on the image you`re printing.  Do
   > we really need our own progress bar?

   Yeah, I know about the one that the gimp puts under the image.  It's
   small and very unobtrusive.  It's very easy to miss.  Even though I know
   it's there, I just didn't think to check it.

   I don't know.  I generally hold the opinion that I'm not quite a complete
   idiot, so, when a UI presents something to me and I miss it, then I tend
   to think that something in the UI is lacking.

   The thing that sets the print plug-in apart from most other gimp plugins
   is that it doesn't modify the image at all.  If I'm waiting for a plugin
   that will change my stick figure drawings into a photorealistic image,
   then I can clearly see that the transformation is not finished and there
   is no need for a pop-up window with a progress bar.  The little one under
   the image is perfect.  But for printing, especially to a file, I think
   something a little more obvious is in order.

   <shrug>  I'm not really going to push for this, if there's a general
   consensus against it, but, if we don't do this, is there some way of
   telling the gimp that we're still working in such a way that the gimp
   would throw up an "Are you sure?" box if the user attempts to quit before
   printing is finished?

   It just seems to me that "fire up gimp; load image; print image; quit gimp"
   might be a fairly common thing for Joe user to do, so, this could become
   a FAQ.

So one thing that springs to mind here is if the Gimp itself were to
warn if you attempt to exit while a plug-in is in progress of
execution.  Gimp folks, would that be feasible?  That would seem
useful for other long-running things (and some of the filters take a
long time to run).

- --
Robert Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx