Re: Toolbox layout and Help menu

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Sven Neumann <neumanns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Your list looked interesting. But, you seem to ignore the menu problem.
> IMHO 2 columns is the absolute minimum since even then get problems with
> the Help menu. If we'd allow less than 2 columns, not even Xtns will be
> accesible any longer.

Hey, don't prevent me from using one of my favourite layouts!  :-)

Really, having all icons on a single column is quite useful sometimes.
As I mentioned in my previous message, this fits perfectly on a Sun
screen (1152x900) because the height of the single-column toolbox is
880 pixels + the WM title.  And since it is so thin, I can configure
my WM to make the Gimp toolbox appear on all workspaces.  I like this
when I work with large images and I put one very large window in each
workspace.

I did not ignore the menu problem.  If the "Help" bug is fixed (it is
a one-line change in app/menu.c to make it last-from-left), then only
the "File" menu is visible.  But when I work with very large images, I
do not need the "Xtns" menu at all, so I can live without it until I
finish working on full-screen images and go back to a more traditional
layout for the Gimp toolbox.

That being said, I also like the columns-spinbutton idea, as long as
the minimum is 1 column.  I agree with the other parts of your
message, and with your suggestion to move the Measure tool in the View
menu or Info window.

-Raphael