Submitting Patches To The Gimp [Was Re: Some update to gimp sources]

Cosmin Truta wrote:

> <snipped...>

> It is the very first time when I try to send a patch to some GNU software,
> so I don't know exactly how to do it. I sent this message to this List
> now; if there is another, better way to contribute to contribute to GIMP,
> I would like to know about it :-)

First of all, thank you for the contribution. The current
submission procedure for The Gimp is kind of in two different
places. First, unstable developer distributions should
have a file called HACKING; it contains the submission
procedure [gimp/HACKING CVS-1.9 Jan 21 1999]:

> Please submit patches to the gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> mailing list.  All kinds of contributions are accepted.  Patches
> that you wish to go into the distribution should also be uploaded
> to ftp://ftp.gimp.org/incoming. Follow the rules there for
> naming your patches.

The ftp site accepts anonymous logins. The second half of the
procedure is there:

>>  *** IMPORTANT NOTE (please read):
>>
>>  If you put patches in the incoming directory you must follow the following
>>  format or I will just delete it.  You must include the README with a
>>  minimum of what the patch does.  The maintainers of the distributions
>>  will decide whether your patch will be applied in an upcoming release.
>>
>>  (gtk|gimp)-<username>-<date yymmdd-n>.patch.gz
>>  (gtk|gimp)-<username>-<date yymmdd-n>.patch.README
>>
>>  The "n" in the date indicates a unique number (starting from 0)
>>  of patches you uploaded that day.  It should be 0, unless you
>>  upload more than one patch in the same day.
>>
>>  Example:
>>
>>  gtk-amundson-970801-0.patch.gz
>>  gtk-amundson-970801-0.patch.README
>>
>>  We prefer greatly prefer unified diffs, if possible (diff -u for GNU diff)
>>
>>  Once you upload *anything*, send the README to ftp-admin@xxxxxxxxx
>>
>>  I REPEAT.  EVEN IF IT IS NOT A PATCH, SEND MAIL TO ftp-admin@xxxxxxxx
>>  with the README.  EVERYTHING MUST HAVE A README!

The README that you submit with the patch would detail what feature the patch
introduces (note: we're in "feature freeze" at the moment) or what bug the
patch fixes. Current known bugs are at http://bugs.gnome.org/db/pa/lgimp.html,
so if you are patching a known bug, it helps to explicitly reference the bug
number listed there.

As an aside, if you encounter something that appears to be a bug, you
can report the behavior at http://www.xach.com/gimp/news/bugreport.html

If this seems a bit complicated, its because The Gimp is volunteer-supported with
limited resources; the extra steps ensure that patches get noticed and handled.

Be good, be well

Garry Osgood