Re: Print plug-in

In regard to: Re: Print plug-in, Glyph Lefkowitz said (at 1:20pm on Feb 1,...:

>On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Raphael Quinet wrote:
>
>> My personal opinion: I'm all for using some of the GNOME things
>> (especially gnome-font, gtk-pixbuf and gnome-canvas) as long as they
>> do not have any dependencies on ORBit or other stuff that is difficult
>> to compile on non-Linux systems or stuff that is simply not needed.
>
>Well, the *best* solution would be to try to fix ORBit so that it would
>compile on other systems more easily.  I don't think this would be too
>difficult, but I don't have any time to volunteer ... so I cast my
>sympathies with your suggestion.

I agree that would be the best solution, but I'm afraid it's not that
easy.  I've submitted quite a few very small portability patches against
ORBit from as far back as the 0.3.X days, and virtually every one of my
patches has been rejected.  I've had very good luck getting portability
patches accepted and integrated into all the other gnome components I've
tackled, but not ORBit.  I'm not alone, either.  I've spoken with another
person that's had much the same experience, though I think they were more
tenacious than I was, and after quite a bit of arguing they did get some
of their patches integrated into CVS.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Room 242-J1, IACC Building              (701) 231-8541 (Fax)