Re: Translation inconsistency

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 01:53:47PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> All those strings only ever appear in the GUI when using the DB-Browser.
> So, the question is, does it make sense to translate them and is it worth
> the effort? Removing the strings from the pot-file would reduce the number
> of messages in the gimp-std-plug-ins domain considerably. They might be
> useful on the other hand, but the same applies for the core PDB strings.
>
> I have no idea how to handle this. Just a few suggestions:
>
> (A) do nothing, ignore the problem
> (B) don't mark the strings for translation, not in the core, neither in
>     the plug-ins
> (C) mark the core PDB strings for possible translation too
>

> Any ideas, comments anyone?

I'm not happy to hear about (B). I have already translated hundreds
and hundreds of such string and I don't:
-- want to trash my work
-- The reading is very interesting (and sometimes only reasonable explanation,
   what plug-in does), that there is good reason to have it
   translated.

I have one idea: make another po (or other) file and move traslations there.
But it requires extra code for switching between two catalogs.
Translators will first translate gimp-std-plugins and then, when
they have enough effort, can translate gimp-pdb.

--
Stanislav Brabec