Re: Plugins

On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 05:14:07PM +0100, Michael Natterer <mitschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do you want to use context functions at the pdb interface? (ie writing
> stuff like gimp_context_get_brush(NULL)) and put all current color/brush/...
> access functions to gimpcompat.[ch] or just let all clients run in their
> own context (which could be done internally without changing the interface)

The latter one (as a start). However I can't see how the gimp can guess
what context my application is in automatically, so there must be a set of
functions to handle the current context.

> I considered bringing the context to the pdb as a feature for 1.4 (also
> because I was away from my machine for months when the gimp was frozen :( )

Well, for me it is a new feature in the feature freeze that is only
half-finished ;) It does not solve any of the problems we currently have.

For example you can easily crash the gimp by running multiple plug-ins at the
same time (no, gimp is _not_ able to do more than one plug-in at the time).

So, maybe, implementing the rest may even be considered a bugfix ... But
it's eventually your decision.

> Currently I don't plan to break the pdb interface because now the whole
> stuff is in a sane state.

Why break? I thought about just extending the interface for the new
functionality (contexts).

> It would be a major api change that will need lots of debugging
> and I'm not sure if there's enough time until the new release in
> god-knows-how-many-months ;-)

Then don't change the api!

> However, putting additional stuff to the context (like the error message
> as you proposed) wouldn't be too much work.

But that's the least important thing. Getting working error reporting into
gimp is definitely an 1.4 feature (for me). Making gimp work in the already
advertised but not implemented "gimp can multitask" case is what I thought
the context stuff would do...

> Please let me know what your plans are.

I don't have plans, just expectations ;->

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|