Re: Plugins

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 03:07:49PM +0100, Daniel.Egger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>  At the moment the localisation of plug-ins is really buggy. Of course
>  it works flawlessly if you just use LANG=de to test the German menus, but
>  running it a bit longer causes segfaults which are definitely caused by
>  bad hacks which "localize" Plug-ins... most developers unfortunately don't

This sounds interesting (explain!).. how can i18n lead to segfaults?

>  have quite a clue of what's going on in this area....

Me included! Maybe I shouldn´t even reply here.. ;->

>  And I can't think of something more bad than halfdone things... we even
>  have Plug-ins which are half-translated... nice feature, right?

Well, half-translated is surely better than not translated at all, so this is
IMHO no reason to switch it of totally.

Maybe we should just push the translators a bit for the release (unless code
changes are necessary)..

>  Fix it or forget it.... and fixing it needs some more hours to be put

Half-translated plug-ins are definitely no reason to forget it!! I mean, do
you want to translate "ls" to "vz" with LANG=de? mixed language environments
are the rule today, not the exception.

>  a few people who really use GIMP for earning some money and they'd
>  really enjoy a great translation of GIMP into German and possibly would
>  be really grateful for some work here... <hint>

I don`t mind it either..

>  Note: At the moment featurefreeze is more violated by the changes done
>  by for example Michael

Or Sven! Even worse, Sven's changes required me to add something else
(which is not bad, but it introduced instabilities again), and Michaels
changes are very likely to cuase other changes as well... So I'd really
say: either we feature freeze or we forget 1.2....

BTW: I appreciated both new features a lot!

> than by the ideas I'm having which would be something like "little
> changes with big positive effects"...

So..? ;)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|