Re: [gimp-devel] Re: tile cache size

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 12:05:26PM -0800, Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But at least tell me what _I_ should use to avoid excess swapping and even

It´s easy... try to detect the pysical memory (on common platforms). Then
use getrlimit to find out how much virtual memory we are to use.

Then take a bit less than the minimum of both values. If none exist, use
10MB.

In any case, process limits need to be set administratively on multi-user
machines anyway, so they should be a good guideline.

> Someone mentioned the tile-cache should be something like half of the ram
> available, does that make sense?

This lacks a definition of "available". The best value is clearly 100% of
the ram that is "available" ;)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|