Re: limited slider range

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 11:23:20AM -0700, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> TomR wrote:
> > I know I'm repeating myself, but why not use _both_? In the case
> > of the opacity slider, the number is displayed right beside it.
> > Making this number a spinbutton would not take up very much more
> > screen real estate and it would allow everyone to work with the
> > value in the manner they prefer.
> >
> > I'd like to see more slider/spinbox combinations in the GIMP. The
> > slider is great for figuring out the correct value but being able
> > to tune it by typing in a number is essential for precision work.
>
> Why not use slider - input box combination? You can adjust the
> slider with keyboard, so the spinbutton is kinda unnecessary - or
> you can just insert a value there..

That's a good point, but I find that doing fine adjustments with a
spinbutton is easier than with a slider - especially if the slider's
length varies with the size of the dialog box it's in.

> If we put there a slider _and_ a spinbutton, we need to beware of
> making the dialogs too large - not everyone has a 21" screen with
> high resolution, and the always-present problem is the screen estate
> that happens to be too small all the time (except when you are doing
> a 24x24 pixel gnome-stock icon :)

A spinbutton is not significantly bigger than a normal text entry, but
you're right, these widgets do start to add up.

Cheers,

Tom

--
--    Tom Rathborne    tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx