Re: limited slider range

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 12:15:27PM -0400, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >  > 20 pixels is pretty small (on 300 dpi that means 1.69 millimeters)
> >
> >  Shouldn't these ranges be tied to the resolution setting?  ie change the
> >  resolution and the ranges will update (well, maybe not for an open dialog,
> >  but perhaps the next time its opened).
>
> Using sliders for these things is wrong.  You cannot specify things
> precisely and they have a limited range.  These should be
> GtkSpinButtons with a *big* adjustment range instead.

Though sliders are nice to adjust when things dont have a 'enumerated'
nature like "tilt sensitivity" - it is hard to justify what a setting of
"35" does, but having a slider is easier since you can visualize the range
easier.. But I am not really sure what the ideal solution would be.. For
percentage-type stuff (0-1 values) sliders are good (like for opacity)

Maybe the spinbutton would be ok after all, testing it in practice would
give more ground to judge the stuff.. It's a lot about how you are used to
doing different things and how long you have been using a feature..

Tig

--

.---( t i g e r t @ g i m p . o r g )---.
| some stuff at http://tigert.gimp.org/ |