Re: swap files

   Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:19:20 +0100 (BST)
   From: Nick Lamb <njl98r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

   Almost every Gimp user I've met has one or more dead gimpswap files in
   their home directory, and they're often completely unaware of them.

   Fixing that in Gimp 1.2 would be really great, and if NFS is a problem
   for the less than 5% of Gimp users stuck with gimpswap on NFS, then I
   guess (unlink-on-create false) and appropriate additional code is not
   too much work for whoever mentioned that.

   IMHO This is a bug fix (the bug being dead gimpswap files using disk)

Yes, but it has other consequences that are not so benign, like being
unable to find the file that's consuming a lot of disk space.  Perhaps
an alternative would be to mmap() the swap file?  This would (I think)
at least allow ps to show the gimp process as being very large.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--Eric Crampton