plugin standards

Title: plugin standards

I've recently written a gimp plugin for importing and exporting images using 3dfx's new FXT1 compression.  Currently the plugin and source is avaliable for download at

        http://www-dev.3dfx.com/fxt1/download.html
but I want to send the plugin to the plugin registry.  However my plugin doesn't build like other plugins as it depends of the core FXT1 source for compression/decompression.  Currently I have a makefile which links against existing FXT1 object files.  Furthermore, it requires an environment variable to be set pointing to the build directory for FXT1.  Its not a very elegant solution.  I'd like to avoid packaging the FXT1 code with the plugin to avoid complications in keeping the sources in sync and I certainly don't want to replicate the FXT1 code witin the plugin.

I've looked at some other import/export plugins from the plugin registry most don't even come with Makefiles.  I assume this is so that they can integrate with the gimp's build.  Can anyone recommend how I should package my FXT1 plugin to work well with everything else?

For more information on FXT1 see
        http://www-dev.3dfx.com/fxt1/

Joseph Kain