Re: TIFF bug with GIMP??

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Nick Lamb wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
>> This is very true. TIFF _is_ used very much in print world. That is why I
>> added the "Mac" vs "PC" switch to the TIFF plugin in cvs gimp a while ago,
>> so that I remember what use the switch has.. We just cant ignore it now.
>> Same as with GIF's on websites.  I'd love to change to something better,
>> but 1) jpeg's suck for anything not photographs and 2) png is not
>> supported enough on browsers (a LOT of people still use IE3) and it doesnt
>> do animation.
>
>Can I just check here, since I know Tuomas is more of a power user than
>a developer as such, did you add this switch because using "Mac" rather
>than "PC" (or even vice versa) actually fixed problems for you in some
>cases, or just because from the description it seemed like a more useful
>label?

It was a pure reminder: Mac seems to read the "MSB to LSB" format better
thus I added the label so I remember which one I should use to save for
use on Mac Freehand. When saving as MSB to LSB things seem to work well
but when using the other fill order I got black images and such. So it was
purely for convenience. Tiff is not just gonna disappear if we drop it off
gimp :)

>I recall being around during the discussion which ended with you adding
>the "Mac" vs "PC" comments, but at the time I didn't understand what
>those switches controlled. Now that I do, and I've read more TIFF docs
>I don't see how it can be helping, but if it _is_ helping I'll leave it.

Well it was just to show what setting to use to make TIFF's that work on
Mac's. Nothing more. The functionality is the same as before the new
labels.

Tig