Re: Reverse engineering issue

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 06:32:43PM -0400, Robert L Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've asked for (and received) a file printed on an Epson Stylus Photo
> 700 printer.  The header of this file may help me enable additional
> capabilities that the public documentation lacks.  Would it be an
> issue (from the Gimp's point of view) if I took the information
> gathered from that file (on how to use additional capabilities) and
> incorporated it into a modified print plugin, and offered it back to
> the Gimp?

There are no lawayers here. But I'd say there is no such problem. In
europe it's legal (for the purposes you said), but in the us you could
come in jail (at least its not legal).

There are other problems like patent infringement, but you are unlikely to
get a problem in this case.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxx      |e|