Re: CMYK / Pixels to DPI questions

> Hello,
>
> I guess the prefered image format in the printing business is CMYK, so I
> wondered, is it possible to save/convert RGB Tiffs to CMYK in Gimp?

dont know of anything in the gimp for this. with CMYK you usually want the
image calibrated to the printer, so your probably better off just leaving
it in rgb and letting those who download them adjust and convert the image
themselves. most imaging packages (like photoshop) adjust the rgb->cmyk
conversion to match the output device.

if you do want to make a cmyk conversion it would probably be easy to
write a simple command line program to make a cmyk version to use in a
CGI script or something. (or have a programmer friend do it if your not
into that) you can get libtiff from ftp.sgi.com and most other ftp sites.

> Also, could someone tell me how to calculate DPI of an image? I have not
> managed to figure this DPI system out, for example, if an image is a
> 100×50 pixels, what's the DPI??

DPI stands for dots per inch. its how many dots (points, pixels, whatever)
are going into each inch. so if you have a 200DPI image it prints 200 dots
on paper for every inch. the next gimp (which just went into feature
freeze and should be out by december) can deal with DPI, until then you
just have to calculate it in your head.

a 100 x 50 pixel image at 100DPI might be one in wide and 1/2 inch heigh.
at 200 DPI it would be 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch.

look on the web for some advice on scanning (im not going to go into here,
if your near hollywood i can help you) and/or get help from your local
gimp/photoshop guru.