Bug when compiling without nls (no modules available)

Hello,

I have found a bug when compiling gimp 1.1.8 when compiling without nls
("--disable-nls").  This is very difficult to track down.

Because nls-support is very weak in gimp-1.1.8 (many plug-ins crashed because
they expected a menu that is present only in another language:  the plug-in is
translated and the menu entry in the main app isn't or vice versa) and because
my perl doesn't have nls-support,  I (re-)compiled gimp with the configure
switch "--disable-nls".  But when I started the gimp there are no modules
(color selectors).  By examining the problem I discovered the following:

BUG: gimp doesnt't find any modules (color selectors) when compiled with
"--disable-nls"

REASON: gtk+ is compiled with nls-support and so gtk-configure returns "-lintl"
for the required libs.  When libtool discovers that it "could not satisfy all
declared inter-library dependencies of module libcolorsel_..." it will create
only a static module but gimp can only load shared modules (on Linux?).

WORKAROUND: delete "-lintl" from LDADD in modules/Makefile

Uwe Koloska

--
mailto:koloska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/