Re: Suggested changes for GIMP documentation

On Sun, Oct 09, 2016 at 09:20:43AM -0400, Roger Goodman wrote:
> All,
>     Looking at the webpage at
> http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-introduction-whats-new.html, I would like
> to suggest the following changes (words or phrases between parenthesis):

First of all, thank for your revision.

> 2. What's New in GIMP 2.8?
> GIMP 2.8 is another important release from a development point of view, even
> more that(than) it was for 2.6. It features a big change to the user
> interface(,) addressing one of the most(-) often received complaints: the
> lack of a single(-) window mode. Moreover(,) the integration effort of( the
> ) GEGL library had(has) taken a big step forward, reaching more than 90% of
> the GIMP core, a new powerful transformation tool, layer groups, new common
> options, new brushes, improved text tool, and more.

Ok all seem good suggestions to me.

> New single window mode
>
>    With this new feature(,) it will be possible to work with all the
>    GIMP dialogs inside one big window, usually with the image(s)
>    centered inside. No more floating panels or toolbox(,) but the
>    dialogs could be arranged inside this single window. This mode
>    could(can) be enabled or disabled (all the - change to at any) time,
>    even while working, and the option (will be remembered through the -
>    change to: is persistent across)  sessions.

Ok

> I'm not entirely sure what the phrase "but the dialogs could be arranged
> inside this single window." means, so I won't make an attempt to change it
> for now, but it needs to be changed somehow so that I can better understand
> what is meant.

It means that you can move around the dialogs inside the single window
and dock them around at your will... it seems clear to me but ... I knew
this working before reading its description so I suppose I cannot judge
fairly...

> New file save workflow
>
>    Now Save and Save as work only with xcf formats. If you want to
>    export(save) an image in another format, say jpg or png, you have to
>    explicitly Export it. This enhances the workflow and lets you simply
>    overwrite the original file(,) or export to various other formats.

Ok

> A new tool: Cage Transform
>
>    With this new tool is now possible to create custom bending of a
>    selection (by )just moving control points. This is the result of one
>    of our Google Summer of Code 2010 students.

Ok

> Improved Text Tool
>
>    The text tool has been enhanced to support on(-) canvas text
>    writing(,) and make(s) possible changing the attributes of a single
>    char(acter).

Ok

> New layer groups
>
>    It is now possible to group (a )set of layers(,) and treat them like
>    an entity. It is possible to switch a group on or off(,) and to move
>    the group in the layers dialog. It is easy to add / remove existing
>    layers to a group(,) or to create / delete a layer inside the
>    group(,) and it is even possible to create embedded groups of
>    groups. It is possible to apply a layer mode to a group as you do
>    with a single layer. All this greatly improves the workflow with
>    complex multilayer images(,) making them easier to manage.

Ok

> Cairo porting
>
>    Started with GIMP version 2.6, all tools rendering on canvas is(are)
>    now completely ported to [CAIRO]
>    <http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/bibliography.html#bibliography-online-cairo>.
>    It provides smooth antialiased graphics and improves GIMP look. Some
>    plug-ins have been upgraded to Cairo as well. Additionally(,) all
>    tools now use an on-canvas progress indicator instead of the one in
>    the statusbar.

Ok

> New script API
>
>      *
>
>        A lot of GIMP APIs have been rebuilt to simplify developing new
>        scripts.
>
>      *
>
>        To further enhances(enhance) scripting abilities, API changes to
>        support layer groups have been made

Ok

> Known Problems
>
>    Working with graphics tablets could be problematic due to the GTK+2
>    library in use. (If in this case - If this happens, ) either use the
>    older version 2.6 or wait for the up(-) coming version 3.0 for the
>    full GTK+3 support.

Ok

> I may be a little comma-happy, but I am trying to improve
> readability/comprehension.

And I agree.

> If I have misunderstood the meaning you were
> trying to convey, please try re-wording the phrase again.

> in my rush to get the message out, and my spell checker didn't complain (or
> at least I didn't notice it complaining).  Mea culpa.
>
> And let me say that whoever drafted this page has much better English skills
> than I have in any other language, so many thanks for your efforts.  :)
>
> Roger

Your precision and help is greatly appreciated. You see, I am still
learning English...

If no one has any objections I will commit these improvements in a couple
of days...

Thank you
Best regards

--