Re: Downloading the user manual

Dear Eric,

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 07:49:36AM -0600, Eric Westfall wrote:
> Thanks for the information, though I regret the answer.
>
> As I had Gimp recommended to me to use to create covers for the ebooks I
> write, I was simply hoping to have a manual available that I could easily
> read and search. I am not a developer of any sort, and have no idea what a
> "git clone" is or what dependencies are.
>
> I'll see if I can find online tutorials somewhere that explain (hopefully)
> how to do the only four things I am really interested in:  (1) being able
> to resize an image where I control both height and width [right now the
> scale feature seems to allow me to change one or the other and then Gimp
> keeps the original proportions];
Something like this:

    http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-scale.html

> (2) adding text [title/author];
this (unfortunately only part of the reference, but perhaps still
helpful):

    http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-image-text-management.html

> (3) > superimposing either parts of several photographs onto a blank background,
> or parts of one photo on top of another,
You want to work with layers:

    http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-image-combining.html

> and (4) winding up with a jpeg
> file [required for ebook publishing via Amazon, etc.].
and this:

    http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-images-out.html

> My partner of 30 years died unexpectedly just under 20 years ago, but he
> lived by the principle that if you don't ask, you don't get. So if you can
> point me in the direction of solutions to any of the above issues, that
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> If not, thanks for taking the time to explain the user manual situation.
Hope that will help, even if it helps to get started.

Kind Regards,
--
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de