Re: Would like to work on the color management documentation

On 01/27/2014 09:46 AM, Elle Stone wrote:
Hi All,

I'd like to work on the Gimp color management documentation to add a
short explanation of the new monitor and softproofing black point
compensation options in the Preferences/Color Management dialog.

I'd also like to make a few changes to some of the other color
management documentation, in particular the explanation of the profile
conversion intents (perceptual, relative and absolute colorimetric,
saturation).

Having read through the existing GIMP color management documentation several times over, it seems to me that starting over from scratch is a good idea.

I've rewritten Chapter 11. I'd like some feedback before I go any farther: Is what I've written the type of material that's wanted in GIMP documentation? Any suggestions for improving what I've written?

I think it would be better for users who consult the GIMP documentation if all the sections of the documentation that pertain to color management were collected into Chapter 11, with links to the appropriate sections of Chapter 11 from Chapters 8 (the View menu, Filters) and 12 (Preferences/Color Management). That way background information needed to understand the available GIMP color management options would be readily available, all on one interlinked page.

Here's a link to what I've written so far:

http://ninedegreesbelow.com/gimpgit/gimpdoc/gimp-doc-chapter-11.html

Here's an outline:

A. Introduction to color management
B. Calibrating and profiling your monitor
C. What is color?
D. Color gamuts
E. Soft proofing
F. GIMP-specific information
   1. open/assign/convert
   2. unbounded mode high bit depth color conversions
   3. global and per image color management and soft proofing options
G. Links to more information

Sections A and B are complete except for revisions.
Sections C and D each need one additional subsection to be written.
Sections E, F, and G are currently just placeholders.

Kind regards,

Elle Stone