Re: a new user perspective

David skreiv:
> I've quickly mocked up an alternative contents page, using headings up to 2
> deep. It uses just more than one screen on my system.
>
> A copy/paste of those contents is:
>
> ==================
> Preface
>      1. GIMP User Manual Authors and Contributors
>
> I. Getting Started
>      1. Introduction
>      2. Fire up the GIMP
>      3. First Steps with Wilber
>      4. Getting Unstuck
>
> II. How do I Become a GIMP Wizard?
>      5. Getting Images into GIMP
>      6. Getting Images out of GIMP
>      7. Painting with GIMP
>      8. Combining Images
>      9. Enhancing Photographs
>      10. Color Management with GIMP
>      11. Pimp my GIMP
>      12. Scripting
>
> III. Function Reference
>      13. Toolbox
>      14. Dialogs
>      15. Menus
>      16. Filters
>      I. Keys and Mouse Reference
>
> Glossary
> Bibliography
> A. GIMP History
> B. Reporting Bugs and Requesting Enhancements
> C. GNU Free Documentation License
> D. Eeek! There is Missing Help
> =============
>

> Now, I might be wrong, but it looks illogical to me ;). If it's a tree structure
> (and it ought to be, surely) then the numbering after:
> II. How do I Become a GIMP Wizard?
> should be:
>      1. Getting Images into GIMP   and so on

It is obviously not a real tree. More a random list. The numbers
referrers to the chapter numbers I think.

> Then:
>      I. Keys and Mouse Reference
> is an anomaly - it doesn't fit on the tree.
>

> A. GIMP History
> B. Reporting Bugs and Requesting Enhancements
> C. GNU Free Documentation License
> D. Eeek! There is Missing Help
> could/should all be on a separate branch: Appendices, probably placed before
> Glossary.

Yes. Why not only put the A, B, C, and D into a common Appendices?

Perhaps also the 1. GIMP User Manual Authors and Contributors could be
moved hereto? The user is more interested in how tos than who made the
manual. I do am aware of that it is a common habit to start with the
authors etc.

> I guess it's only by removing the clutter that the structure of the thing
> becomes clear.
>

> To be honest, I can't see what information the headings I, II, and III add. For
> example:
>      5. Getting Images into GIMP
>      6. Getting Images out of GIMP
> is little more than File Open/Save - scarcely GIMP Wizardry :)

Amen
> However, having said that, the important discussion of colour models is actually
> within 5. - you'd never guess that from the heading, so wouldn't it be better
> relocated?

Better under10. Color Management with GIMP?

> If it would help anyone to see my (crude) webpage mock-up I can send it
> privately as a zip - I assume the list will not permit attachments.
>
> Goodness, I hope this is helpful and not just a pain ;)
>
> David
Some rapid comments late in the evening. Should perhaps had thought it
over before sending?
I think it is possible to rebuild the index without major difficulties.
Not even the GIMP manual is perfect.

Kolbjoern