Re: a new user perspective

Ulf-D. Ehlert skreiv:
> David (Monday, 30. August 2010)
>
>> In a spirit of trying to help, may I share a few observations about
>> the online documentation that would make my reading of it easier?
>>

> Feedback is always welcome! :-)
>

>> 1. There is no link off the manual to the GIMP site. I wanted that.
>>

> The HTML manual contains more than 500 HTML pages. IMHO using your
> browser's bookmark feature will probably much easier and faster than
> searching for a link somewhere in the manual...
>

>> 2. I'd much prefer a clearer layout of the manual web pages. For
>> example the first page shows just a logo, until I scroll down,
>>

> What's wrong with the nice logo? ;-)

I think nothing, but as I understood David think the place could be
better user for text to avoid scrolling?

>> and the contents are spread over multiple screens (impossible to get
>> an overview).
>>

> Ok, the table of contents *is* a bit confusing.
>

>> Images would be better right or left aligned,
>> definitely not inline as at present.
>>

> I don't see the problem (but that doesn't mean anything...). Can you
> provide some examples (e.g. GIMP vs. $OTHER_PROG manual)?

Just as in (many) books. The images are mostly placed to the left or
right side with the text surrounding it. Often more readable that the
way it is set up now. Well, perhaps a matter pf taste?

>> Black text on white is clearer than orange on grey.
>>

> We changed the style when the layout of the gimp home page changed.
> But you can switch to the old GIMP-2.2 ("gimp22") style (check the
> "View" menu of your browser). This works for online and offline
> version.
>

>> 3. Section 1.2 needs to tell me *how* to install the context
>> sensitive help (I installed GIMP as recommended, onto Windows, but
>> no context sensitive or local help is installed.)
>>

> This seems to be a common Windows problem. Linux
> distributions should install the GIMP manual package ("gimp-doc" or
> "gimp-help") if the "gimp" package is selected.
>
> Since I'm a Linux-only user, I have no clue about the Windows way of
> installing packages.

In Windows installing programs are much simpler than in Linux. Mostly
you start an installer and that's it. The average Windows user normally
do not know how to install packages like in Linux.

But the main problem to the Windows user, in my opinion at least, is how
to find the download site and zip files. The ".bz2" is unknown to most
users and the formate is not handled by (most?) unzip program used in
Windows. So a solution could be to add the necessary files in ".zip"
formate (which is readable by Windows) reachable from the common
download (html) sites? I guess the average Windows user is not familiar
with the ftp protocol either.

Somewhere there also has to be a description on where to put the help
files in the gimp catalog. Something like: "Unzip the help files to the
GIMP-2.0 -> share -> gimp -> 2.0 -> help folder". Simple?

This suggestions are more changes in the gimp.org sites than for the manual.

>> I can share further specific points if there is interest
>>

> Definitely yes. :-)
>
> Ulf

Yes.
I know there are lots of people in this forum knowing much more about
the styling and contents etc. of the GIMP manual than I do. Some
thoughts on David's suggestions?

Kolbjoern