Re: Layer Modes formulas

RyōTa SimaMoto (Sonntag, 8. November 2009, 18:51):
> Some formulas are reformed.
>  * Multiplication signs '*' are all removed because they
>    can be omitted in almost regular mathematic expressions.

But sometimes the expression is more readable with  a "*", IMHO:
	"256 * I"  vs.  "256I"

> Style of formula is changed to TeX's mathematical display mode.

There are some braces left over from \frac.
BTW, why did you replace "\frac" with "\over"? (I'm TeX/LaTeX
beginner...)

> Can this reformation be acceptable for all users?

I wonder if we shouldn't make some more fundamental changes:

It looks like layer/blend mode formulas are typically expressed using
values in the range 0..1. This makes them independent of the color
depth and simplifies the equations (e.g. "E = M * I" for the multiply
mode).

If we just want/need to explain layer modes without describing  any
internal details of how to compute the "real" values, we should
consider switching to the - as far as I see - common way to describe
layer/blend modes.

I found some nice links here:
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2009-October/023624.html

Ulf