Re: English-Localised lookup table for function names?

Hi,

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 21:22 +0200, julien wrote:

> In previous versions of gimp-help, there was such a table which was
> called "dictionary", giving the corresponding english name for each
> french command and option. It could have been possible to adapt it to
> other languages.
>
> It disapeared when migrating from xml to po.
>
> Now, with English as the reference language, I don't see how to rebuild
> it :-(.

You could probably build such a dictionary using the gimp message
catalogs. The gimp message catalogs contain all menu entries and their
translations.

Users frequently ask questions or send bug reports using the original
menu names because they don't know the English terms. What I usually do
then is to look up the terms in the po files that are located in the
GIMP source.

For GIMP 2.8 we plan to add the possibility to easily change the
language that GIMP uses from the Preferences Dialog. I am afraid though
that changing this setting will require a restart.

Sven