Re: Do I need a github account?

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 08:26:02PM -0400, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> I managed to modify the GIMP documentation including a build, so I know
> that it works.
>
> I desire to create a patch to that I can provide it to Mr. Joost.
>
> At this point, things are becoming a wee bit confusing.
>
> Here is what I have done so far:
>
> Commit my changed file
>
> $ git commit -a
> $ git format-patch HEAD^
Looks all good to me.

>  From what I glean from some web pages, it seems that I need to use
> github to send my changes for review. OK, so I created an account and
> even a public repo that I named "andy-gimp-help-2".
>
> My best guess is that I now submit using:
>
> $ git remote add github git@xxxxxxxxxx:pitonyak/andy-gimp-help-2.git
> $ git push github master
No - please don't do that. That would confuse everyone, because then two
repositories exist where people can contribute to. I actually urge you
remove that project from github.

> I am hesitant to use such commands and then possibly create an entire
> copy of the gimp documentation, when all I think that I need to do is
> figure out how to submit a patch for review so that no one needs to
> manually enter my changes.
Just send your patches to me and I'll have a look at it.

What you could also do is, put the patches on a webserver somewhere,
write an email to the mailinglist and put a link to your patches in it.
Ask if someone could review your patches.

Cheers,
--
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de