Re: How long to become active? (unable to use git)

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 07:52:20PM -0400, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> I created an account with "live.gnome.org". I suppose that I was under
> the mistaken impression that they were related.
>
> > Note that you can create a clone without having an account. Just clone
> > from git://git.gnome.org/gimp-help-2  You only need to use the ssh URL
> > if you intend to push your changes to the master repository.
> >

> The only reason that I cared was because I spent a few hours reading
> through GIMP documentation. I submitted changes directly to Roman
> Joost.  Roman indicated that he would integrate my changes but that he
> was busy so that it would likely take weeks. I told him that I would
> attempt to integrate the changes myself. I also indicated that unless
> someone was familiar with my work that I expected that my proposed
> changes would be vetted. With the process in place here, it is not
> clear to me how that is done, but with GIT I believe that it is
> possible (and that it would be very difficult with SVN). Note that
> apart from my initial exchange with Roman, I have not had further
> communications, so I am NOT saying that Roman indicated that this
> would be possible. I was merely attempting to take the work off of him
> to integrate the changes that I had submitted.
You could follow the following pages and try to setup yourself a sandbox
to play with. As Sven already indicated, you create yourself a clone of
manual on which everyone is working on:

    git clone git://git.gnome.org/gimp-help-2

The relevant and helpful sites you want to look at:

    http://docs.gimp.org/help.html
    http://live.gnome.org/Git

> All of my past experience has either been directly with publishers and
> editors (for published materials) and with the OpenOffice.org project,
> which uses an entirely different process.
This is more developer centric.

> >> Must I do something specific so that my newly created username
> >> AndrewPitonyak (user name for live.gnome.org) will work with my newly
> >> created id_dsa or id_rsa. Note that I did set the permissions to 600 for
> >> the files and 700 for ~/.ssh itself.
> >>

> > Your account for the GNOME Wiki has nothing to do with having commit
> > access to the GNOME git repository. The latter is reserved for people
> > who have already submitted a reasonable number of patches and needs
> > approval from module maintainers
> I see. OK, I think that I understand that what I was attempting to do is
> not possible. I will send a message to Roman and mention that he should
> take care of integrating the changes that I submitted.
As an 'anonymous' contributor you can work on your created copy with
git. You can make commits to your local repository and you can send in
your changes to one of the authors or me (git format-patch creates a set
of patches which can be easily applied and verified).

> Needless to say, this form of submission is very time consuming to
> produce and time consuming to integrate. In the time that I created this
> document for a few pages, I could have done many more. Unfortunately,
> the current documentation does not appear to lend itself to a "lets
> track changes and insert comments" mode of collaborative editing that I
> have used on the other projects in which I have participated.
That is provided by git, which as I've mentioned above is more developer
centric. You probably need a bit of time to understand and use it.

Good luck :)
--
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de