Re: spurious .po updates

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:29:58PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 18:04 +0100, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:
>
> > Obviously updating po files automatically is a double-edged sword, but
> > without that feature working will be less comfortable.
>
> I can only speak for what I know about how po files are handled in an
> application like GIMP. There the po files used to be updated (and the
> updated files committed) on 'make dist'. In other words, when making a
> release. This was changed some years ago because it used to cause a lot
> of trouble for translators. Imagine a translator working on the po file.
> After spending several hours, if not days, she wants to commit the
> changed file to SVN. If someone else changed the file in the meantime,
> the result is a terrible conflict which is rather difficult to resolve.
> This means losing a lot of work. Quite often this also means losing a
> translator. You should definitely try to avoid that.
Agree 100%. Only translators shold update po files. This is what

intltool-update xx

is meant to (where xx is the language code). It should be a similar
mechanism for the GIMP manual.

Just my 2 eurocents:  IMHO when you do a simple make it should be a
reminder message that hits the translator to update the proper po files
before translating reminding he/she how to do it.

bye

--

Marco Ciampa