Re: diff problem

julien (Dienstag, 20. Januar 2009, 22:00):
> If I am right, we have, when a translator works on po file:
>
> 1- "svn update": src xml files that have been changed are updated.
>
> 2- The translator runs "make pot" to update pot files from changed
> xml. A new pot creation date is given to these pot files.

For now you can skip this step. "make po-LANG" will also update pot
files if necessary. This may change soon, though.

> 3- Then he runs "make po-LANG" to update po of his language from
> changed pot files. In po files the pot creation date is updated.
>
> 4- He works on a po file , creates html to control.
>
> 5- Now, he runs "svn diff". diff finds only one difference in po
> files that have not been worked on: the pot creation date!
> And the diff contains all the updated po he didn't work on with only
> this pot creation date listed.:-(

So how can we avoid this? We should change the build process to not
update po files when building the manual with "make html-LANG". But
should we also remove the "make po-LANG" command and update po files
manually with "make po/LANG/path/to/pofile.po"?

> After <sect...info>, do we must remove this pot creation date?

Hmm, we could add a script to identify those files and to apply "svn
revert". Should be easy, but would be really ugly...

Merging the po files can improve our situation:

IMHO we should merge all po files of a directory to a single po file.
Now we have 559 po files in 34 directories. I would like to add a few
new directories to get rid of of these silly filename prefixes (e.g.
src/menus/edit/* instead of src/menus/edit-*), but we will end up with
not more that 50 po files.

This will reduce the number of unintentionally changed files and will
make it easier to check and revert files manually.

Ulf