xml2po & placeholder errors

Hi,

we have a minor problem with "xml2po" producing those mysterious
placeholder errors Vitaly reported some times ago ("No template matches
placeholder-1 ...").

Our problem: we have two slightly different xml2po versions creating
different po files. So we just have to decide which version to use.

When we started to find out how to create po files, I noticed
that 'ml2po' sometimes emitted placeholder tags. I considered this to
be a bug, filed a bugreport and provided a patch - without any response
from the xml2po maintainer (obviously everywhere the same problem: lack
of time). You find this patched version in our tools directory, and
whenever you are using Makefile.GNU you invoke this one.

The autotools-based Makefile uses the default xml2po program shipped
with the gnome-doc-utils package (on Linux).

A typical output example (default version ("-") vs. patched version
("+")) shows the difference:

 #: src/menus/colors/auto/color-enhance.xml:58(phrase)
-msgid "<placeholder-1/> example"
+msgid "<quote>Color Enhance</quote> example"
 msgstr ""

 #: src/menus/colors/auto/color-enhance.xml:62(phrase)
-msgid "<placeholder-1/> example (Original image)"
+msgid "<quote>Color Enhance</quote> example (Original image)"
 msgstr ""

(I still think this is a bug, since it may easily lead to translation
errors if you don't look at the context.)

Obviously we can't continue using both versions...

Using the patched version would be a kind of fork with all its
implications: maintenance, updating, bugfixes etc. (but note it's just
a little Python script...). There are also some advantages: we could
customize the program and add more patches (for instance, we could try
to make xml2po's images-md5 feature work for us).

Ok, that's all, just make your choice and then we will have to stick
with whatever you have chosen.

Unless we stumble across another bug/problem, both solutions should be
fine...

Bye,
Ulf