Re: [Gimp-developer] Retinex doc

It is too much work :)

So, here we go. I'll rewrite the whole section starting from "These
options ...".

from http://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-retinex.html

If anyone wants to refine what I wrote over the old article, or feels I
made a mistake, please don't hesitate to reply.

===
These options call for notions that only mathematicians and imagery
engineers can understand. In actual practice, the user has to grope
about for the best setting. However, the following explanations should
help out the experimented Gimp user.

Level
Here is what the plug-in author writes on his site
(www-prima.inrialpes.fr/pelisson/MSRCR.php): “To characterize color
variations and the lightor, we make a difference between (gaussian)
filters responses at different scales. These parameters allow to specify
how to allocate scale values between min scale (sigma 2.0) and max
(sigma equal to the image size)”...

Uniform: Uniform tends to treat both low and high intensity areas fairly.

Low: As a rule of thumb, low does "flare up" the lower intensity areas
on the image.

High: high tends to "bury" the lower intensity areas in favor of a
better rendering of the clearer areas of the image.

Scale
Determines the depth of the Retinex scale. Minimum value is 16, a value
providing gross, unrefined filtering. Maximum value is 250. Optimal and
default value is 240.

Scale division
Determines the number of iterations in the multiscale Retinex filter.
The minimum required, and the recommended value is three. Only one or
two scale divisions removes the multiscale aspect and falls back to a
single scale Retinex filtering. A value that is too high tends to
introduce noise in the picture.

Dynamic
As the MSR algorithm tends to make the image lighter, this slider allows
you to adjust color saturation contamination around the new average
color. A higher value means less color saturation. This is definitely
the parameter you want to tweak for optimal results, because its effect
is extremely image-dependent.
===