Re: Light and Shadow - Drop Shadow an Bevel

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 20:48 +0200, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:

> did anybody ever use this filter? It should  "add a drop shadow to a
> layer, and optionally bevel it", but it seems to do nothing useful.
>
> According to the source code, this filter
>
> 1. creates a copy of the drawable,
> 2. fills it with white,
> 3. blurs this plain white layer (does this make sense?),

Doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

> 4. uses this plain white layer as a bump map (or this?),
> 5. inverts it.
>
> The result is a black layer below the drawable, optionally moved by the
> Diplacement options (without resizing the image).

I have the impression that this Python script can serve as an example
for scripting GIMP with Python but that seems to be about the only use
that it has. We should probably not install it in a stable release then.
Could you perhaps open a bug report for this issue so that we can sort
it out quickly before the 2.4.0 release?

Sven