Re: Plug-in documentation

Hi,

Am 10.05.2007 um 23:12 schrieb Sven Neumann:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 23:07 +0200, Axel Wernicke wrote:
>
>> many of the filters in GIMP are plug-ins, provided by people that
>> might not be GIMP core developers. Very often they provide useful
>> information about the plug-ins they once wrote on their own web
>> pages. In addition to that I think at least most of them deserve a
>> mentioning of their giving to the GIMP community in the manual.
>> So, how about adding the name of the developer and copyright holder
>> of any plug-in on it's documentation page? If available this could
>> even enriched with a link to the plugin-description page of the
>> author.
>
> It may make sense for a few plug-ins. But most plug-ins that are
> shipped
> with GIMP are old and not any longer maintained by their original
> authors. Some do not even have much in common with the original
> version.
> If there's an online documentation, then it's likely to be outdated.

In some (unfortunately not even rare) cases the authors page is the
only source of description for the plugin to be used for the
documentation except writing the obvious an wild guessing.

So, even if the plug-in browser still lists "him" as author and
holder of the copyright?
What is the copyright anyway supposed to mean here? What is the
copyright worth if the plugin is under ongoing modification from
"anybody"?

Greetings, lexA

> Sven

---
Remember: There are only two tools in life. WD-40, for when something
doesn't move, and should, and Duct Tape, for when something is moving
and it shouldn't.
So does the universe explode if you spray duct tape with WD-40?