Re: [Gimp-docs] editors

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 12:11:48PM -0400, Sally C. Barry wrote:
> Hi All -
>
> I have a question about what editors can be used with Gimp docs.
>
> My main system is Windows ME.  Since none of the MS editors (Notepad,
> Wordpad, MW Word) are suitable for our files, Julien suggested that
> I download the freeware program, Notepad++.  It does the job, but it
> doesn't really work well with Windows ME.  I have to keep re-booting
> the system, Windows Explorer keeps dying, etc.
>
> Does anyone else use something different that works better?
>
> I run GIMP from a Live Linux CD (Knoppix), although that's not the system
> I normally have running on my PC.
>
> My preferred editor on Linux is vi (vim).  Does anyone know if this
> works on our XML files?  Are there any things to watch out for?  Any
> tips?
>
> Thanks again for your help!
>
> Sally

Sorry, I do not want to start a vi-emacs war but I use emacs (particulary
emacs-snapshot) with the nxml-mode package under Linux (but there are
working versions for Windoze, working perfectly under win9x) and I find it
GREAT to work with xml files. It do a validation process _during_ text
tiping and it is able to mark syntax errors with red underlines in real
time.

I know of a great GPL java editor: jedit. Full featured but perhaps a bit
heavy...

Or scite: a wonderful lightweight python programmers editor (no xml validation)

--

Marco Ciampa