[Gimp-docs] My first post.

I hope to offer the doc project one thing that I can do and
perhaps others can't. The current pdf copy of the manual dated
December 28, 2005, lacks an index. I know that this is supposed
to come out of the docbook cycle somehow but it did not in this
instance.

Further, looking at the index for the December, 2004 edition I
note some areas needing improvement. For example the following
three main headings occur:
Dialog
Dialogs
dialogs

Obviously these headings should be consolidated and their
subheads combined where appropriate. That is one reason why
indexing cannot be a totally automated process. Judgment needs
to be applied by a human being.

The index can of course be a byproduct of the development cycle.
But there are two problems I foresee. First the development cycle
has long since gone past the Dec 28th edition of the manual, but
that edition is the only one currently available as a pdf.
An index must match the book exactly to be useful. The only way
to make that match is with the text and the pagination of the
pdf.

Second, indexing through the cycle woould require working in
each and every document to insert the appropriate indexing tags.
If twenty people are writing modules of the document that won't
be feasible. That process results in user-unfriendly duplications
like Dialog etc. above and other anomalies.

Therefore I will go through the Dec 28 pdf and create an index
independent of the xml cycle. At this point there is no other way
to create an index that matches that pdf. I will make that index
available in pdf format for printing out as a companion document.
The pagination will be correct to the Dec 28 edition which is the
critical issue.  When the next pdf version is made available then I
will repeat the process. The html help documents don't need a
general index so there is no conflict.

If anyone see objections to this effort I would be interested in
hearing them. I will prepare the index in any case for my own
use. The only issue I see would be the posting of it alongside the
main pdf file.

Your input is invited.

--
John Culleton