Re: [Gimp-docs] Problems building PDF file from gimp-help-2.0.9

Am 24.11.2005 um 23:04 schrieb Keith Hanlan:

hmm, it should be 2.0.9 too! Pretty sure it is!

No, it doesn't look like the HTML version. The date is 2004 and
there is only a "What¿s New in The Gimp 2.0?" section. There is
no "What¿s New in The Gimp 2.2?" section.

Hmm, Roman - we need to do something about this - should I start trying to get that cow flying?

But be warned, IIRC these files are not printable very well.

bummer. And there don't seem to be any up-to-date commericial
books either.

Perhaps I should be also be asking if the docbook framework
has a serious usability issue if it cannot produce printable
documents.  Is this a problem that is being addressed?

Well, a difficult issue. DocBook itself is xml. Publishing has
not much to do with docbook itself, its more about xml
stylesheets and translations. PDF transformations are mostly
done via so called FOPs but this seems to be a standard the is
mostly instable or incomplete implemented. Another way - the way
the GIMP docs project is going - is to transform the xml into
latex and generating pdf from latex. Unfortunately the docbook
xml - latex transformation is an very complex issue that
involves lots of "magic".

Good lord - how complicated. I think I'm going to miss troff!

As an outside observer, I'm curious as to why you couldn't use
OpenOffice? Is it simply not up to the task of a 500 page book?

I know from my own experience that it's still a little rough
around the edges but it is quite usable for moderately large
documents. It can also produce HTML, DocBook, XHTML, and MSOffice
XML. Don't get me wrong: I'm sure that there were good reasons.
But from the outside, it looks like somebody has architected a
monster.

Well it's not that bad - creating the html version is pretty straight forward. May be we should consider building a one file html as long as the pdf is out of order ... ... um, the gimp manual is up to 450 pages in around 7 (en;de;cs;nl;fr;sv;zh_CN) languages. A team of around a dozen people is working on it - thats nothing you want to do in OO !

But we could need some help with it everytime - so if you have questions or annotations to the manual - please ask and state them !

sincerely, lexA

Thanks,
Keith Hanlan
Ottawa, Canada

---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get...
GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ prüfen