Re: do you need new operations ?

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM,  <thomas.manni@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have written some operations for my own use into gimp.
>> Let me know if you are interested by some of them, I will write tests and push to master.

For ops that you are uncertain about the general usefulness or
completeness of, you could just push them to the workshop folder,
which isn't built and installed by default, makes sense. That way
people using GEGL from git are able to easily test and asses the ops
in GIMP or other GEGL using software, and if they are deemed useful
making them official is easy.

>> * lab-levels (like the current levels op, but in LAB color space)
>
> Unsure, maybe there should be a common approach to using level, curves
> etc. an arbitrary color spaces instead.

I'd stick this one in the workshop for now, possibly both approaches
are valid. Common approaches for doing decompose, process, recompose
might not even be a GEGL level of abstraction thing, but belonging in
UI or logic of programs or frameworks built on top of GEGL. It might
even be that doing physics based vs perceptual levels can be
considered distinct operations; each having a *single* preferred pixel
format/color space.

/Øyvind K.