Re: Windows development

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Jasper van de Gronde <th.v.d.gronde@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the info. This should get me at least a bit further. I might try using a LiveCD or something to cross-compile. Again thanks for the information.

BTW, did you do your Windows experiment using the "normal" mingw, or using TDM's GCC?

The "normal" one :p

On 2012-05-07 00:37, Victor Oliveira wrote:
As far as I know, there are really few Windows developers for GIMP (one or two?), basically, all development is done on Linux and because of that, Windows-only problems are discovered just at the end of the release cycle.

I spent a long time trying to discover how to compile GIMP in Windows, even though I'm a Linux developer, I needed to run it in Windows for my OpenCL work because my GPU doesn't have a Linux driver.

At first, I tried to use MinGW+MSYS in Windows, it worked, but it is _extremely_ slow... like 3~4 hours to build GIMP and dependencies. Also, it had some random bugs.

Much better is to use mingw-w64 in Linux to build Windows binaries.

Anyway, here is what I've been doing.

System: Ubuntu 12.04LST

1. Install mingw-w64
2. use the grab-stuff.sh script (from Ender) to download precompiled packages from OpenSUSE repositories, change your prefix in the script
3. What we need will be extracted to ./usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw
4. set your environment vars like the env.sh file (change to your directories)

5. get babl, gegl and gimp from git and build it:

$ cd babl
$ ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --enable-introspection=no ; make ; make install

$ cd gegl
$ ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --enable-introspection=no --disable-docs; make ; make install

$ cd gimp
$ ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --without-dbus --without-gudev --without-linux-input --without-xmc --disable-python --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --without-libjpeg; make ; make install

I had problems with a -pthreads flag (which breaks mingw), it seems my system was polluted and I had a autotools file somewhere including it, I couldn't find the file. so my brute force solution was to have an Ubuntu VM with a clean system :/

and that's it...

bye!
Victor