Re: GEGL and GTK+, a proposal

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011/6/12 Jon Nordby <jononor@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> So I propose to:
>> - Create a new gegl-gtk repository, containing the new library
>> (alternative is to have it as a toplevel in gegl repo, if anyone can
>> present good arguments for that I don't mind)
>
> First of all, I think the name should be gegl-ui, not gegl-gtk, in
> case we want to provide a widget for say Qt.
>
> I support moving the UI stuff into a separate git repository; it will
> be nice to have separate commit histories.

Having a library that depends on a lot of different UI frameworks
might not be conductive to encourage adoption. Since this would mean
that in distributions you would be pulling in the packages for all the
possible dependencies when wanting only one of them.

There is already a Clutter based GEGL integration library, and to me
it makes sense for there to be separate ones for different ui
toolkits.

http://git.clutter-project.org/clutter-gegl/

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson