Re: libraw support

On 4/20/11, Paul Sbarra wrote:

> Regarding the licensing I think we should look at this from a larger
> perspective.  I picked libraw from the todo list because it was there.

The list also mentions rawspeed :) I, sort of, put both there :)

> I don't think using libraw gives us any additional functionality over what
> could be done with dcraw.

Really? :) How about libraries currently being faster due to all sorts
of optimizations, like rawspeed being threaded and using SSE2?

> What's the longer-term strategy for supporting raw files?  The Darktable
> project is _really_ good at developing raw images (non-destructively).  It
> would be great if you could have that same functionality but also include
> the additional image processing capabilities that GIMP provides (blur,
> heal/clone, layers, etc).

I think houz did a nice description before:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=26372766

This is a view from dt project, but it makes a perfect sense.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org