Re: [Inkscape-devel] Cairo rendering proposal

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 12:33 PM,  <hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> (linking to archived mail instead of full quoting original message)
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.devel/33871
>>
>> To me this looks like a good approach for a cairo based renderer for
>> inkscape, since I maintain GEGL which could possibly considered an
>> alternative I'll post some thoughts on whether GEGLs rendering model
>> could possibly fit into inkscape. (Note, until the last paragraph I
>> list thing that are similar to what is needed, but at the moment
>> probably would be a much worse option than what you have outlined).
>> GEGL deals with many or most of the concerns of an interactive SVG
>> canvas. And at least the long term it should be an eligible candidate
>> for such SVG rendering (I've probably deleted an old naive SVG -> GEGL
>> graph compiler I had lying around, as well as experiments with
>> stroking SVG paths with soft brushes and variable line widths).
>>
>> GEGL already does various caching of intermediate rendered surfaces
>> and propagation of dirty rectangles in the compositing graph based on
>> graph re-arrangements/property changes. Rendering is at the moment
>> split into spatial regions that are processed sequentially (work is
>> slowly under way to paralellize this processing of rectangular
>> subregions with threads).
>
> A few years ago, Henk Boom did a google summer-of-code project to
> integrate svg rendering into the Gimp.  His code was placed on hold
> until enough bogs were fixed in the Gimp to make it prectical to add new
> features.  If people are starting to look at connecting Inkscape and
> Gegl, perhaps it's time to dust off his code and have a look at it.

I'm not sure.

GEGL already does more/other vector graphics than the vector layers
feature that was added in the GSOC, and in a manner that would seamlessly
intergrate with how effect-layers, GEGL based text layers and other
composition based enhancements will be done.

As I recall it, the vector layers as implemented in that branch feels
like a proof
of concept and the UI integration with the rest of GIMP is rather ad-hoc.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/