Re: [Inkscape-devel] Cairo rendering proposal

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 03:52:03PM +0100, Øyvind Kolås wrote:

> (linking to archived mail instead of full quoting original message)
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.devel/33871
>
> To me this looks like a good approach for a cairo based renderer for
> inkscape, since I maintain GEGL which could possibly considered an
> alternative I'll post some thoughts on whether GEGLs rendering model
> could possibly fit into inkscape. (Note, until the last paragraph I
> list thing that are similar to what is needed, but at the moment
> probably would be a much worse option than what you have outlined).
> GEGL deals with many or most of the concerns of an interactive SVG
> canvas. And at least the long term it should be an eligible candidate
> for such SVG rendering (I've probably deleted an old naive SVG -> GEGL
> graph compiler I had lying around, as well as experiments with
> stroking SVG paths with soft brushes and variable line widths).
>
> GEGL already does various caching of intermediate rendered surfaces
> and propagation of dirty rectangles in the compositing graph based on
> graph re-arrangements/property changes. Rendering is at the moment
> split into spatial regions that are processed sequentially (work is
> slowly under way to paralellize this processing of rectangular
> subregions with threads).

A few years ago, Henk Boom did a google summer-of-code project to
integrate svg rendering into the Gimp.  His code was placed on hold
until enough bogs were fixed in the Gimp to make it prectical to add new
features.  If people are starting to look at connecting Inkscape and
Gegl, perhaps it's time to dust off his code and have a look at it.

-- hendrik